Mid-career Design & Development: What's Next?
Early career faculty members have one primary objective – achieving the research, teaching, and service record needed to earn tenure. Once over that hurdle, a number of possibilities and questions open up:
· How will you focus your research moving forward?
· Will this next stage be a continuation of earlier work, or with the increased freedom that comes with job security, are there new areas you want to explore?
· Will you always be a researcher first and foremost, or do you aspire to leadership roles?
· Are you satisfied with publishing in academic venues or do you want to speak to a broader audience?
· How will you focus your service work?
o Is building a stronger department your first priority?
o Do you want to have a hand in shaping your discipline by editing a top journal?
o Will you take on a leadership role in your professional association?
o Are you passionate about supporting DEI efforts in your school or college?
In this interactive workshop, Rena Seltzer of Leader Academic will work together with Professors Cecily Cooper and Sreedhari Desai to lead mid-career faculty members through a series of journaling exercises and small group discussions to clarify their academic identity, mission, and vision. Participants will also begin to reflect on what they need and who can support them to achieve their goals.
1) Attendees will be asked to complete a half-hour visioning exercise prior to the workshop
2) Space is limited, so we ask that you please sign up only if you can commit to attending the program (barring an unforeseen emergency)
3) During the workshop we ask that you please refrain from multitasking and unmute your video so that we can see as well as hear each other
To register, please visit: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mid-career-development-workshop-tickets-780393797857
Rena Seltzer Biography:
Rena Seltzer is a leadership and faculty coach and dynamic trainer with two decades of experience coaching academics across the span of their careers. She coaches and presents professional development workshops for leaders and faculty members at universities including Yale, Harvard, the University of Michigan, and Cornell University, among many others. Rena offers the popular ten-week coaching and mentoring group Foundations of a Successful Academic Career for professors at all levels. Details about the winter Foundations cohort including tuition and how to enroll are here. Rena's coaching and workshops are deeply influenced by her interest in supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion and by research in the field of positive organizational scholarship.