Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  Games/Case Studies to Challenge/Rethink Assumptions or Norms

Posted 07-29-2022 11:38
    Hello, Colleagues,

I am looking for a classroom-based activity, a game or a case study that nudges learners to challenge their assumptions or accepted norms. The assumptions/norms can be about anything, but the goal is to expose learners to the process of challenging and rethinking what they previously believed was 'decided' or 'standard'. Learners are business students of varying backgrounds (e.g., professional and traditional students). Any directions or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Benjamin

------------------------------
    Benjamin Thomas
    Springfield MO

• 2.  RE: Games/Case Studies to Challenge/Rethink Assumptions or Norms

Posted 07-31-2022 17:00

Hi Benjamin,

Within the field of futures (studies) and foresight, challenging organizational assumptions and norms is one of the key premises, and there are several methods and games specifically designed for that.

As a starter, you might want to check the Sarkar game, which is great to uncover hidden power dynamics: 

https://link.medium.com/KKKDxTAh6rb

The causal layered analysis game (CLA game) is also a great tool to uncover hidden narratives, assumptions and norms, and potentially re-inventing them:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S004016251630453X

Finally, identity wind tunnelling is a good one to uncover, clarify and potentially reimagine the strategic identity of the organization:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/ffo2.96

Don't hesitate to reach out for further info on how to conduct/facilitate these and other games.

cheers

Alex

Alessandro Fergnani
    NUS Business School
    Singapore

• 3.  RE: Games/Case Studies to Challenge/Rethink Assumptions or Norms

Posted 08-03-2022 11:12

Hi Benjamin,

I think BARNGA simulation may suit your criteria. It's main focus to uncover hidden assumptions and how they work. It always works well, students like it.

https://sites.lsa.umich.edu/inclusive-teaching/barnga/

With kind regards

Tatiana

Dr. Tatiana Andreeva
    Associate Professor in Management and Organisational Behaviour

Research Director

Maynooth University / School of Business
    Maynooth University, Maynooth, Co. Kildare, Ireland
    E: tatiana.andreeva@mu.ie
    T: +353 1 4747561

• 4.  RE: Games/Case Studies to Challenge/Rethink Assumptions or Norms

Posted 08-06-2022 22:41
    Edited by Nagaraj Sivasubramaniam 08-07-2022 08:03
    Hi Benjamin,

I developed a game (and published it in a small booklet) a while ago that can bring about this change in mindset.

Basically, I give students a list of 75 current actual trends (i.e. published in the news), each one numbered and described in a short paragraph.  I then break the students up into small groups of 4.  Each student must select 3 of those trends *randomly*, and then pass those 3 to the student to his/her right.  When students receive their trends from their classmate, they must put together those unrelated trends into a business idea.  There is a short individual brainstorming period, after which all groupmates share their ideas with each other.

The benefit to this game is that students' assumptions are challenged when they are expected to combine unrelated trends, and their assumptions are challenged in the absence of expecting them to brainstorm a bunch of (futile) nonsense.  Combining 2 trends is not too difficult, but that third trend is what usually throws a wrench into the ideation and forces students to re-consider their assumptions.

I can be reached at chihmao dot hsieh at sunykorea dot ac dot kr in case anybody wants to hear more about it.

Cheers, -chihmao.​

Chih-mao Hsieh
    SUNY Korea
    Songdo