Discussion: View Thread

AOM PDW Registration Invitation - Paving Your Golden Brick Road: How to Craft a Long, Happy, and Illustrious Academic Career

• 1.  AOM PDW Registration Invitation - Paving Your Golden Brick Road: How to Craft a Long, Happy, and Illustrious Academic Career

Posted 3 days ago

PDW: Paving Your Golden Brick Road: How to Craft a Long, Happy, and Illustrious Academic Career

Date: Friday, August 9 

Time: 3:00 PM - 5:30 PM CST

Registration Link: https://forms.gle/B7bxAWwk6SGDgNBe7

Registration Deadline: Friday, July 26, 2024 

Presenters:      Sharon Parker

Miriam Erez

David Hofmann

Angelo Kinicki

Tom Conklin

Are you looking for an interactive Professional Development Workshop (PDW) that offers an opportunity to: 

(1) Gain a rare glimpse into the lives of well-traveled academics and the choices that crafted their careers?

(2) Engage in self-reflection and develop a personal career plan?

(3) Ask presenters questions in small roundtable discussions?

If so, we encourage you to attend the PDW entitled "Paving Your Golden Brick Road: How to Craft a Long, Happy, and Illustrious Academic Career."

Is This PDW For You?

Yes! This PDW is for anyone at any career stage. You may be a newcomer to academia (e.g., junior colleagues who are searching for their academic identity, feel overwhelmed or consumed by the "publish or perish" mindset, or wonder what different paths exist for to craft an impactful academic career), junior faculty, recently promoted faculty (e.g., those who now have more job security and are thinking about how they want to craft their careers over the long term), or senior faculty who are contemplating how they want to rebrand, leave a legacy, or finish their careers. All are welcome. You are guaranteed to walk away with valuable tools and insights that will help you take a more purposeful approach to your work and your career. 

PDW Description

The academic career can be a gift to help us master the art and experience the joy of lifetime learning. At the same time, it can be a grueling profession in which negative reviewer feedback, student critiques, and a strenuous path to promotion can dull the purpose and passion that brought once bright-eyed and aspiring thought leaders into the field. The purpose of this PDW is to inspire attendees to develop a growth mindset toward their work and discern a deliberate strategy to experience their professional craft as a calling so they arrive at the end of their career purpose-filled, happy, satisfied, and content, rather than bitter and burnt out. This PDW is for 

Part 1 – What Do Growth Mindsets, Calling, and Job Crafting Look Like? (75 minutes)

Five presenters will deliver a TED Talk style presentation (15 minutes) describing the twists, turns, obstacles, remedies, and serendipitous events in their career as well as the pivotal decisions that contributed to the path of their academic career. These presenters who have invested decades of their lives in academia have been chosen to represent a diverse number of paths academics can take in crafting their careers. These paths include academic publishing, executive education, administration, pedagogical research, public policy, and consulting.

Part 2 – Personal Application: What Do Dual Growth Mindsets, Calling, and Job Crafting Look Like For Me? (45 minutes)

Surveys. Participants will complete surveys about their personal and occupational growth mindset, calling, and job crafting. Presenters will give participants evidence-based insight into how they can improve their dual growth mindset, calling, and creative approaches to job crafting.

Personal Planning. Participants will use the insights they've learned to complete their future destination roadmap. They will answer the questions, "Where do I want to go in my academic journey? What do I want my personal brand to be? How can I infuse more purpose into my work? How can I get to the end of my career having achieved work and life satisfaction?" Participants will be given handouts with process models to guide their personal planning process.

Part 3 – Questions from the Audience and Advice from the Presenters (30 minutes)

The five presenters will break out into smaller roundtables to field questions from participants who desire to craft a similar path in their academic career. Presenters will also discuss tensions and tradeoffs they experienced through the process of crafting their own career.

Please register for this PDW by Friday, July 26 via the following Google Form: https://forms.gle/B7bxAWwk6SGDgNBe7. Space is limited. Please contact Chad Hartnell (chartnell@gsu.edu) if you have any questions or would like additional information.

Chad Hartnell

Associate Professor

Department of Management

J. Mack Robinson College of Business

Georgia State University

chartnell@gsu.edu

------------------------------
    Chad Hartnell
    Associate Professor
    Department of Management
    J. Mack Robinson College of Business
    Georgia State University